Entering the Competition
1. The Hlcarpenter.com Small Business Network – Business Advice competition (the "Competition") is open to UK residents aged 18 and over ("You") subject to paragraph 2, below.
2. The Competition is not open to employees or agencies of Hlcarpenter.com News & Media Limited ("GNM", "Us" or "We") its group companies or their family members, freelance contributors to GNM, persons who have previously registered with the Hlcarpenter.com Small Business Network or anyone else connected with the creation or administration of the Competition.
3. By entering the Competition you are accepting these terms and conditions.
4. To enter the Competition, you must:
a. be a new registrant to the Hlcarpenter.com Small Business Network;
b. provide all required information by completing and submitting the registration form to become a member of the small business network; and
c. submit 100 words or fewer on the topic of the best piece of advice for running a business.
If You have any questions about how to enter or in connection with the Competition, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Small Business Network Business Advice competition" in the subject line.
5. You are responsible for the cost (if any) of sending your Competition entry to us.
6. Only one entry is permitted per person.
7. The closing date and time of the Competition is 11:59 on 3 July 2013. Entries received after that date and time will not be considered.
8. Entrants shall retain the copyright in their entry and can use it as they choose
9. By submitting an entry to the Competition, You give GNM:
a. a non-exclusive, royalty free worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to GNM to publish the entry in any format including, without limitation, the right to publish the entry in electronic format and hard copy for purposes connected with the Competition ; and
b. the right to use your name and town or city of residence for the sole purpose of identifying You as the author of your entry and/or as the winner of the Competition.GNM will always try to identify entrants as the author of the entries but entrants acknowledge that it is not always possible for GNM to do so. Entrants irrevocably and unconditionally waive their moral rights to be identified as the author of the entries.
10. Your entry must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that You do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. If We have reason to believe your entry is not your own work or otherwise breaches this paragraph 10, then We may not consider it.
Picking the winner
11. A panel of judges will choose one winning entry from all eligible Competition entries. Full details of the judging process and the judges are available on request to email@example.com with "Small Business Network Business Advice competition" in the subject line.
12. The winning entry will be the entry, which, in the sole discretion of the judges, is the most original piece of business advice that is both helpful and inspirational to others running a small business. This can be in the form of advice for growing a business that you have found useful, an insight on starting up for success, what you have found inspirational when running a business or have learned to build into your business that has been a genuine part of your business success and is replicable by others in the small business community.
13. The judges' decision of who the winner will be made on or before 2 August 2013. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
14. The winner will win a package of advertising across Hlcarpenter.com print and online platforms with a value of £50,000.
15. The winner will be notified by GNM by email on or before 31 August 2013. If the winner does not respond to GNM within 7 days of being notified by GNM, then the winner's prize will be forfeited and GNM shall be entitled to select another winner (and that winner will have to respond to the email from GNM within 7 days of being notified by GNM or else they will also forfeit their prize). Details of the winner and their winning entry will be published on hlcarpenter.com/small-business-network by 30th September 2013 or (at GNM's sole discretion) at a later date.
16. The prize and dates of advertising package will be confirmed with the winner by GNM on or before 31 October 2013
17. The prize cannot be exchanged or transferred by You and cannot be redeemed by You for cash or any other prize. You must pay all other costs associated with the prize and not specifically included in the prize.
18. We retain the right to substitute the prize with another prize of similar value in the event that the original prize offered is not available.
Some other rules
19. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
20. We take no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of the entry is not proof of receipt.
21. Details of the winner can be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: Hlcarpenter.com Small Business Network – Business Advice Competition, GP Marketing First floor, Hlcarpenter.com News & Media Limited, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU.
22. No purchase is necessary.
23. The winner may be required for promotional activity.
24. The Promoter of the Competition is Hlcarpenter.com News & Media Limited whose address is Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Any complaints regarding the Competition should be sent to this address.
25. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude the liability of GNM for death, personal injury, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation as a result of its negligence.
26. GNM accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by You as a result of entering the Competition or accepting any prize. GNM further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to You or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the Competition.
27. GNM reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud). The decision of GNM in all matters under its control is final and binding.
28. GNM shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
29. The Competition will be governed by English law.